fbpx Acorn Toxicity | Veterinary Clinic Morrinsville
News

Acorn Toxicity

Back to News

09 April 2020

We have seen a few cases of acorn toxicity in the last month. At this time of year there are very large numbers of acorns on the ground. Cattle can graze quite happily year after year in a paddock with oak trees without problems, but every now and then an animal develops a taste for acorns, or feed availability is scarce and they will start to eat them. It is a good idea to fence off areas that acorns can be eaten.

Unripe acorns are thought to be the most toxic, but ripe acorns and oak leaves can also cause poisoning. Ingestion leads to kidney damage, abdominal discomfort, diarrhoea and death. Illness and death may continue to occur in a mob for up to 4 weeks after the acorns were eaten. Sheep and horses may also be affected, and pigs when very large quantities are eaten.

FURTHER READING

Latest news

Article
Pet Services
10 Jun 2020

Pets are an important part of our family, bringing joy and companionship to our lives.

Read more
Article
Mineral Monitoring
09 Apr 2020

In early January this year a local dairy farm discovered through routine bloods and liver biopsies that the copper and selenium levels...

Read more
Article
Goat Bedding
09 Apr 2020

Between Nov 2017 and April 2018, a pilot study was carried out on a dairy goat farm in Taranaki, to compare how different management

Read more